Apples are one of the most popular fruits cultivated by man. Its taste and benefits are well known. To date, grow a huge number of varieties, and the way Apple entered into our culture and everyday life very hard.
Today we present you 18 interesting facts about apples that you might not know.
1. Initially, Apple was not widespread tree. Its habitat was limited to the territories of Central Asia and modern Kazakhstan, where it still grows wild ancestor tree “Malus sieversii”.
2. According to one version, the first who brought cultivated apples to Europe, were the soldiers of Alexander the great, who conquered Central Asia.
3. It is Apple is one of the most important stories in the Bible. The serpent advised eve to pluck the fruit and try it to get a chance to recognize what is good and what is evil and to be like God. Eve succumbed to the will of the snake and tasted the Apple, then gave it to Adam. Enraged the Lord, knowing that disobeyed him, banished Adam and eve from the garden of Eden to earth.
4. An Apple emblazoned on the logo of the company “Apple” and gave her name. According to one version, Steve jobs wanted in the telephone directory the name of their company stood before “Atari”. On the other, sort of apples “McIntosh” was the most favorite developer JEF Raskin, which place later Steve jobs.
5. The English proverb says: “Who eats an Apple a day the doctor does not happen”. And these words are not far from the truth. Some researchers believe Apple is the best fruit for the prevention of lung cancer, prostate and colon, and cardiovascular diseases and reducing cholesterol. The Apple contains vitamins C, A, B, E and K, and nutrients such as iron, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.
6. China is the largest producer of apples in the world. Second and third place is shared by Europe and the United States, then Iran, Turkey, and India. Russia in this rating occupies the seventh line.
7. The first country which became widely grown apples, was Ancient Greece. And in the time of Ancient Rome people was known for 36 varieties of fruit.
8. “Apple of discord” was one of the causes of the Trojan war. According to legend, in the judgment of Paris he was given the right to choose the most beautiful of the goddesses. Hera promised him power, Athena — glory of the warrior, Aphrodite, Helen, wife of Spartan king Menelaus. Paris gave the Apple to Aphrodite, and after Elena. Also Apple has one of the feats of Hercules in the garden of the Hesperides.
9. According to legend, the inhabitant of one of the Swiss cantons, Wilhelm tell, the famous smart shooter, has refused to bow to the hat of the German Governor, which he posted on the square. As punishment tell was forced to shoot an Apple sitting on the head of his own son. He coped with its task.
10. The poison Apple appears as a way of revenge in the fairy tales of snow white and of the dead Princess and seven knights and many others.
11. At a well-known legend, the idea of the law of gravity came from Isaac Newton in that moment, when he watched the falling on the ground apples.
12. The projection of the larynx, popularly called Adam’s Apple, also called “Adam’s Apple”. According to the Bible a piece of the forbidden fruit stuck in Adam’s throat, and so there was a ledge.
13. The name of the former Kazakhstan capital Almaty is translated as “Apple”. In the Russian language the city is called Almaty that Kazakh can be translated as “Apple-grandfather.”
14. “The big Apple” in the early twentieth century was called new York, but why, really no one can say. According to one version, the so-called city sports columnist, on the other — in the environment of jazz musicians the conquest of the new York stage was akin to plucked from the tree the largest fruit, the third says that the first tree, which was raised by immigrants from the Old world, was an Apple tree.
15. The Beatles, founding my own record label, gave him the name “Apple records”.
16. In honor of Apple has been named Russian of the centrist political party founded by Grigory Yavlinsky.
17. From the prepared apples cider and Calvados, as well as Austrian strudel, cakes, juices, jam etc.
18. The cultivated Apple tree appeared in Russia under Yaroslav the Wise on the territory of Kyiv-Pechersk Lavra. At the same time, the Eastern Slavs appears holiday Saved Apple. And since the XVI century, Apple has learned how to grow in the Northern parts of the country.
Read more •••
Video of the day. The cat was not allowed in the cabin due to the extra weight