Last night Apple introduced to the public three brand new smartphones — the iPhone XS iPhone XS Max, iPhone, XR. These products have been equipped with advanced processor, Apple Bionic A12, which is specially optimized for tasks such as augmented reality and machine learning.
Without doubt, Apple A11 remains a powerful and fast chip. However, if you compare it with Apple A12, the difference is obvious:
- This is the first chip with 7-nanometer technological process, which is available in the mass market.
- Upgraded processor at least 15% more productive and 40% more energy efficient than its predecessor. As for the graphics accelerator — it became 50% faster.
- Thanks to the engine, Neural Engine, the chip implements improved support networks, machine learning and other data-intensive tasks.
- A new algorithm for the embedded component, the Secure Enclave is allowed to increase the speed of face recognition using Face ID.
- Just A12 Bionic uses about 6.9 billion transistors. The processor has six cores and a graphics accelerator — 4.
Apple claims that a new SOC is able to hold about 5 trillion operations per second. For comparison, the same result for Apple A11 — 600 billion.
What do you think, do we need such efficient processors for smartphones? Or today their power is excessive? Let me know in the comments or in our Telegram chat.